Since our founding, KBS has made significant strides in protecting infants and toddlers from unnecessary injuries and death. Here are just a few of our many accomplishments:
- The U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission docketed the KBS petition to ban supplemental mattresses, resulting in the public overwhelmingly voicing support. The CPSC is expected to make its ruling in 2016.
- Through our advocacy, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), representing 64,000 pediatricians across the U.S., has called for the CPSC to ban the sale of supplemental mattresses.
- KBS has urged major retailers to stop selling supplemental mattresses, including Toys ‘R Us, buy buy BABY, Kmart, Sears and Wayfair.
- We’ve educated hospital personnel on safe crib and sleep practices so they can pass vital information directly to their patients. We are currently working to make it mandatory for all hospitals and birthing facilities in the U.S. to educate new parents on crib safety upon discharge.
- Chris Christie signed a similar bill into law in New Jersey, following our extensive engagement with the bill sponsors, Senators Tom Kean and Joe Vitale and Assemblymembers Linda Stender and Jamel Holley.
- Assemblyman Jamel Holley introduced state legislation calling for a ban on the sale of supplemental mattresses in New Jersey.
- We partnered with the AAP and the CPSC to create a national education campaign on sleep safety entitled “Safe Sleep (Environments) for Babies,” which includes a video and educational materials on how to create and maintain a safe nursery and sleep environment for infants.
- We’ve distributed the “Safe Sleep (Environments) for Babies” video and brochures (in English and Spanish) in hospitals nationwide. The video is viewed in hospitals on the Newborn Channel, which reaches more than 3.1 million viewers in more than 1,000 hospitals each year.
- We played a key role in the passage of vital new federal crib legislation on June 24, 2011, ensuring that new cribs comply with the strongest crib laws our country has ever seen.
- Since 2007, we’ve donated more than 8,000 cribs to financially-challenged parents through our partner hospitals and clinics nationwide. In addition, we’ve trained scores of workers at Health and Human Services organizations to bring cribs into homes and set them up according to the highest safety standards.
- We’ve provided product-recall information as well as reliable crib and sleep safety tips to parents, caregivers, and hospital personnel nationwide.
- We have been endorsed by the CPSC and we work closely together to provide the latest safety information. We helped make safe sleep a top priority for the CPSC and assisted this agency in the development of a crib-safety checklist.
There’s no doubt we — and our generous supporters – have much to be proud of!